Chest Pain Center Accreditation Features & Benefits
Chest Pain Center Accredited hospitals have achieved a higher level of expertise when dealing with patients who arrive with symptoms of a heart attack. Accreditation improves the clinical processes for the early assessment, diagnosis and treatment within facilities. Our process improvement methodology leads to...
- More efficient and effective evaluation
- Rapid treatment of patients with chest pain and other heart attack symptoms
- Better educated healthcare professionals and a more well informed community
CPC v6 Accreditation helps you:
- Reduce variations of care
- Lower length of stay (LOS)
- Sustain consistent process improvement
- Decrease readmissions
- Maximize reimbursements
You are not alone on your path to Chest Pain Center Accreditation. Partnering with your care team is the ACC, the professional home for members of the CV care team. Our experienced staff of accreditation review specialists have helped hundreds of hospitals become accredited Chest Pain Centers. Using measures aligned with the latest ACC/AHA Guidelines — CPC v6 provides actionable data to support more informed clinical decisions. Through the Accreditation tool you can focus on:
- Calculated Measures for the care of LOW-RISK, NSTE-ACS, STEMI and Resuscitation
- Key performance metrics to track quality of care and identify opportunities for improvement
- Operational measures associated with patient outcomes and organizational performance
- Greater collaboration and partnership between the entire multidisciplinary CV care team
What's more, the Accreditation tool enables ease of data collection with the utilization of NCDR ACTION Registry® to support CPC v6 and alleviate time-consuming redundant data entry.
Easing Data Collection with NCDR ACTION Registry® and CPC v6
Facilities that actively participate in NCDR ACTION Registry can utilize ACTION Registry® with CPC v6. This alleviates the need to input much of the STEMI and NSTEMI population reporting requirements into the CPC v6 Accreditation Conformance Database (ACD), the repository for data associated with tracking your quality measures.
Value-Added Services for CPC v6:
- Assigned Accreditation Review Specialist for coaching and guidance
- Accreditation Training
- Informational Webinars (live and on-demand formats)
Process improvement leads to quality improvement with greater efficiencies across the continuum of care, and more timely and accurate diagnosis and guideline-driven treatment of ACS patients. Your assigned Accreditation Review Specialist offers ongoing support, assessment and review, and will help you establish a future-focused strategic plan to lower the cost of care while improving the quality of care. CPC v6 uses the most up-to-date performance measures and guidelines to:
- Ensure appropriate placement of patients based on clinical presentation and initial response to treatment for better risk stratification
- Reduce Door-to-Reperfusion (D2R) times
- Align each process to latest ACC/AHA protocols
- Decrease time and cost by developing an appropriate non-invasive ischemia testing strategy
- Improve relationships with EMS and integrate EMS into the patient care process
- Increase community awareness of ACS symptoms
- Employ clinical pathways and treatment strategies across all transitions of care
- Streamline cross-department processes and enhance CV team collaboration
- Identify gaps, measure results, and revise current processes to meet goals
To help you reach your accreditation and quality improvement objectives, CPC v6 organizes process improvement efforts across eight essential components:
- Governance: Establish a multi-disciplinary committee with executive support to provide orchestration of cardiac program operations, clinical oversight, and provide education to meet the needs of providers and staff.
- Community Outreach: Increase community awareness of heart attack signs and symptoms, including an Early Heart Attack Care (EHAC) program. Develop educational programs through partnerships with EMS, local healthcare providers, employers, and the community-at-large to increase public awareness of the value for early patient engagement for heart attack care and hands-only CPR.
- Pre-Hospital Care: Build a solid partnership with EMS to integrate first point-of-care processes with facility care.
- Early Stabilization: Hardwire immediate assessment and stabilization protocols to evaluate, risk stratify, and manage patients who are either at risk of or are having an acute occlusive event. Solidify the criteria and observation pathway for those patients needing additional diagnostic testing.
- Acute Care: Develop an effective strategy for the management of ACS patients, including an ischemia-guided strategy. Protocols and order sets designed to reflect current ACC/AHA guidelines.
- Transitions of Care: Establish care coordination at discharge, including early follow-up care and patient/family education, to prevent unnecessary and costly re-admissions.
- Clinical Quality: Measure and evaluate operational performance and adherence to evidence-based guidelines, proven to optimize the quality of care.
- Designation: Pinpoint the requirements for each of the three types of CPC designations, each based upon a facility's treatment strategy and capabilities.
The comprehensive, sustainable approach to process and care improvement is your blueprint for a successful accreditation and optimal long-term value. By ensuring all personnel and departments speak the same language and use the most up-to-date protocols and policies, you enhance efficiencies and eliminate variations in patient care. Consequently, you’re able to optimize patient outcomes and financial performance. CPC v6 helps your facility:
- Reduce the liability of missed heart attacks through a consistent approach to risk stratification of the ACS patient
- Improve patient throughput and volumes
- Reduce costly admissions
- Establish more appropriate lengths-of-stay (LOS)
- Enhance patient engagement leading to improved patient satisfaction scores
- Meet the demands of the ever-changing healthcare market
- Create operational efficiencies to improve the bottom line